Wednesday 25 July 2018

Electronics adaption of Lantern


I recently purchased two black metal flex-lamps from IKEA to use for the conduits on the sides of the helmet. I'll talk more about those later, as this post is about the electronics I'm putting in the lantern.
When I disassembled the flex lamps I found a very nice PCB with an LED with wiring which runs on 9v.
These are not only very flat and small enough to fit in the housing, but it seems to me it's fairly likely that the original propmakers ended up with the same type of PCBs leftover from the lamps they would have disassebled to use the arms from. Pressed for space and with perfect leftovers that can run straigth off a standard 9v battery they'd probably have jumped at usng them.



It's at least plausible that the same type was used in the original hemlets, I haven't seen any disassembled top lanterns though so who knows. Good enough for a cosplay prop for sure though. :)



PCB wiring not shown



I also added red Diameter 5 mm LEDs and LED collars for the top

LED array will later be hidden under a cut up transparent reinforced garden hose

Cross section showing insufficient wall thickness for the collars, also note that the solid red LED covering isn't realistic but symblizes the lit up hose.



The LED collars need thicker wall support to function fully. They lock the leds with barbs when set in tight fitting holes, so I'll add that next. I uset the same type of collars on the Dalek gun previously, they're an electronics industry standard component today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post comments here: