Monday 17 September 2018

Adding lens and mesh to the lantern housing

The lantern housing has now been sanded enough so that minor remainig scrathes will be filled in by painting.

So I was eager to try mounting the white lens and mesh backing.
I made a cardboard template, tried that in the window and then cut the welder lens I got in the box with the Pro-Cap helmet, leaving the protective white film on.
I strongly suspect this weld lens is what BBC used to make the lamp lens from. It comes with the helmets and is left over if you don't use the outer welding visor.

I cut the aluminium mesh the same size, trimmed off just a little on the sides and bent it slightly along its' length to fit it more easily.


Then I slid it into the slot behind the lens, had to work it in a bit and at the end I flattened the top by pressing it to the lens. Then I worked it home into the top slot.


Just a perfect fit!



Then, the light test, would it look as it does in the Show?



Comparing to a screencap from "Kill the Moon"

 I'd say yes! The seemingly white film even gives the same light blue tint to the light. And the lens also looks to be the right dimensions. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Post comments here: